Sunday 27 September 2009

Sound Financial Planning

I want to buy a laptop, I have thought about this and decided there are three ways to achieve this:

1. Buy one now and be skint for the rest of the month
2. Save
3.Gamble my way to a laptop

Option 1 is not sensible, option 2 will take a while and option 3 is risky but I come up with a plan and what a plan it is. Every Saturday I put a couple of quid on a football coupon and I'm not very good at it but hey I enjoy Soccer Saturday and it is so much better with a coupon. I got off to a great start to the season but have since faultered, so I come up with a new system.

On Friday I grab a coupon on my way home and study it intently and see there are 9 matches I think are good bets in terms of chance and payout.

These are:

Aston Villa to beat Blackburn 5/4
Bristol Rovers to beat Brighton 4/5
Charlton to beat Exeter 4/11
West Brom to beat Crystal Palace 8/15
Colchester to beat Tranmere 11/10
Forfar to beat Elgin 2/5
Spurs to beat Burnley 1/3
Middlesborough to beat Coventry 11/10
East Fife to beat Clyde 8/13

These are all sensible bets indivudually so I slam £5 on a 9 fold accumulator which if it comes up would net me £563 and therefore a brand new laptop. The chances of this happening are slim so I decide to hedge my bets by betting £5 each on 3 separate trebles:


Aston Villa to beat Blackburn 5/4
Bristol Rovers to beat Brighton 4/5
Charlton to beat Exeter 4/11

West Brom to beat Crystal Palace 8/15
Colchester to beat Tranmere 11/10
Forfar to beat Elgin 2/5

Spurs to beat Burnley 1/3
Middlesborough to beat Coventry 11/10
East Fife to beat Clyde 8/13

If any one of these comes up I will get between £22.50 and £27 therefore effectively giving me my money back if all 9 teams win I will get £71 plus the £563 from the accumulator. Total genius what can go wrong?

Actually quite a lot can go wrong. Villa get beat after like 6 straight wins, Rovers (who are third) draw with Brighton and top of the league Charlton beat struggling Exeter. No matter I can still win £45 with my other trebles.

Well actually, I can not as top of the league West Brom are held by Palace. Tranmere who are managed by John Fucking Barnes scrape a point after 5 or 6 straight defeats and Forfar draw with Elgin 3-3! Sounded like a great game to be fair. When was the last time Elgin scored 3? I want to know.

Still this totally cool as I can recoup my £20. Spurs are humping Burnley 5-0, East Fife are beating Clyde 1-0 (Clyde couldnae score in a brothel) and Middlesborough were 2-0 up at half time. Sweet with 12 minutes to go Coventry pull one back but Middlesborough will hold on. Full time is declared with Spurs and East Fife, Midedlesborough are 2-1 up injury time I'm getting £22.50 all is good. No fate hates me and Coventry equalise 5 minutes into injury time. Bastards, total cock munching bastards of the highest order. Leon Best I'm coming to get you and my retribution will not be swift .

I am now £20 down and actaully further away from a laptop. I have years of experience watching my coupons go pear shaped. Typically if I pick 9 results one or two teams will be down and out with half an hour to go but only Villa were beaten and it was by a 89th minute penalty. The rest were all draws these teams cock teased me to the very end. Needless to say I was pretty pissed.

On another note i was ID's in the bookies again by a 19 year old, I'm 27. After that I walked into an off license and was served no problems.

Last night I watched Buy The Ticke Take The Ride a Hunter S Thompson documentary. I enjoyed it but it was prety much more of the same stuff we have seen before. Although the documentary makes Sean Penn seem kinda cool, who knew that was possible?

1 comment:

  1. I liked the plan of action though. It didn't work the first time so next time you'll just need to get riskier.

    ReplyDelete